I am sitting here trying to write and essay and going no farther than what I am putting on this blog page. Why do I even bother? Well, mainly because I don't want to end up like those kids toiling away in Bolivia for next to nothing. Did I mention that my paper is on child labor?--well the subtopic being child labor and the main being whether film versus photography is more influential to a person, getting them to act upon their emotions, I guess. I get to analyze film and photography to draw up my conclusions, though I really don't want to. Shoot.
We watched the movie: "The Devil's Miner" in English to begin our section on the issue of child labor. It was about this 14 year old boy living in Bolivia near the mine he works at. He supports his mother and two younger siblings with his income, which is 2.50 to 4 dollars a day. The mine is called "the mountain that eats men" and the controversy within that documentary is not just that they employ children, but the deal that they worship God as well as the "devil" --they call him 'Tio." Extra protection from the dangers in the mine that they believe God cannot protect them from. Also, there is the strange way that the film is told in subtitles and you can hear the soft voice of the boy, almost feeling his emotions through the screen. He has been working at the mine for 4 years (meaning he started at 10) and will probably continue to work there for the rest of his life. Although I don't think that really happens because from what I hear in class the film proceeds went to helping his family. Even through all of this, him working before the movie, he never once complained, just hoped. Hoped that some day he and his family could move down to the city away from the mine and he would go to school to be a teacher.
I seriously have no clue what my thesis should be. When comparing this film to the aspect of the child labor photos we saw at the museum (taken by Lewis Wickes Hine) of the industrial revolution and the children who were put to work then. It all depends on whether you believe photos are more liable sources of information than film or vice versa, but in this case I almost say that it is a 50-50 choice. The era is working for the photos and the film, although one can see the obvious theatrical additions, cinematography, music, even the addition of the subtitles rather than a speak-over can get to a person. Also, the many main points of the movie: is it about a boy's tragic story, the religious aspects of the movie or the beautiful landscape in contrast with the harshness of the mine?
I am up shit creek without a paddle. Cheers.
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- Jun (2)
- Feb (6)
- Jan (1)
- Dec (1)
- Nov (20)
- Oct (9)
- Sep (7)
- Aug (8)
- May (7)
- Apr (2)
- Mar (3)
- Feb (2)
- Jan (7)
- Dec (4)
- Nov (5)
- Oct (7)
- Sep (15)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (1)
- Jun (4)
- May (6)
- Apr (12)
- Mar (5)
- Feb (13)
- Jan (2)
- Dec (2)
- Nov (8)
- Oct (12)
- Sep (11)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (6)
- Jun (8)
- May (1)
- Apr (13)
- Mar (15)
- Feb (12)
- Jan (8)
- Dec (18)
- Nov (15)
- Oct (20)
- Sep (14)
- Aug (9)
4 comments:
Well Whit, I hope you have found your "paddle". I sure don't want you floating in that creek for long!There are so many cultures that expect their young people to work and help support the family. Our children are sheltered until they are 18 years old. I surely don't believe a 10 year old child should be working in a mine. That's the same age as Alexis and Charlie. Heaven forbid if they were expected to support their families! I think photography would be my choice. If it was a pure photograph, untouched by the computer age. That's why I still like film because it seems more pure that digital. Another topic for discussion I suppose. When studying and reading about other children in the world we realize how spoiled our children are. I think there must be a happy medium in teaching responsibility and work ethic without exploiting the child. Good luck on your paper. I know it will be a good one.
Love
Aunt Dee
Interesting topic Whit..I agree with Aunt Dee that a picture is worth a thousand words but film has other aspects that grab the viewers emotions, the music, narration, voice the little boy etc. I like what you have said in your post, maybe you should incorporate some of that in your essay. Third world countries are where Europe once was, using children to clean the chimney's and America has it's own horror stories to tell. Children have worked in sweatshops rolling cigarettes etc. Good luck with your essay and as Aunt Dee says you will do a good job. You have the gift of telling a story! See you tomorrow.
Love ya.
Mom
Charlie would love to hang!!!
She is staying the night Saturday with Linda!
But she doesn't go over till later in the day!
Cool post Whit, it makes me want to watch that documentary and help the boy out. Fourteen seems so young now, even though I am only four years older. Homework time! Yuck
Post a Comment