For starters I am studying Spanish and 12 credits abroad are necessary for that degree here at Pacific. I will then be coming home in 2012 after graduation and completing community college courses for the nursing program at UW.. I am taking Spanish to become bilingual enough so that I can say it confidently on an application for UW and that will hopefully be a great ticket into the school. If not there are many other nursing schools around the Seattle area that will gladly take my money haha.
Yes, I do have that wonderlust. But it's better to know the dangers of an area than to go in thinking that nothing will happen. Being vigilant is most important. Also, many of the incidents described do not happen in daylight. I don't plan on going out much (clubbing, dancing, drinking etc.) because that just seems like a dumb idea to put myself in unnecessary harm. I'm there to have fun yes, but ultimately speak Spanish, and thats most effective when done stone cold sober. Juan will be there but not all the time. My roommate Katherine will be going with me too. So I will have her around a lot of the time I hope. We will be placed in different host families, but we will be commuting to the same university.
To put you more at ease, Ecuador is one of the safest countries in South America. And I'd rather be going there than Mexico for instance. All the thing I descried happen in the US as well. Its just that these occurrences will be in Spanish and I need a better grasp on that one for sure.
So I shall say: No te perocupes, Don't you worry. No esta perfecto pero esta bien. Its not perfect but its fine. :)
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- Jun (2)
- Feb (6)
- Jan (1)
- Dec (1)
- Nov (20)
- Oct (9)
- Sep (7)
- Aug (8)
- May (7)
- Apr (2)
- Mar (3)
- Feb (2)
- Jan (7)
- Dec (4)
- Nov (5)
- Oct (7)
- Sep (15)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (1)
- Jun (4)
- May (6)
- Apr (12)
- Mar (5)
- Feb (13)
- Jan (2)
- Dec (2)
- Nov (8)
- Oct (12)
- Sep (11)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (6)
- Jun (8)
- May (1)
- Apr (13)
- Mar (15)
- Feb (12)
- Jan (8)
- Dec (18)
- Nov (15)
- Oct (20)
- Sep (14)
- Aug (9)
5 comments:
Proud of you! You'll do great!
I think you will do well and have fun and not get in trouble. I trust you.
That said, remember your resolutions when you're down there. I'm not judging, I'm just saying don't get swept away, because people like to sweep you away.
Please change your blog settings, so hard to read!
Love Reme
Thanks!
<3 Reme
Wit,
Ecuador sounds like a blast. I mean, you got casinos and strip clubs and wine tours and whorehouses and...wait, did you say Ecuador?
The Ecuador?
Oh my.
Well, at least you'll learn Spanish.
Nah, kidding aside, sounds like a great time. It ain't the high life, but who needs the high life? What good did it do for Tiger Woods? What good does it do for any of us?
Get out and see a bit of the world, and don't worry about rape and murder and pillaging and plague. Just hold your head up, look confident, and be friendly. The world's full of friendly people. You'll meet plenty of em.
Make sure you take along a journal. I'd suggest buying a couple Moleskine notebooks. They're pricey, but they are the best thing going. Hemingway used them. So did Chatwin. And Matisse.
Also, bring a camera, of course. But get one with some real film. The digital deal is misleading, and you don't get much of a visual education with it.
Glad to hear you're doing well. Hope the last few weeks of school go good for you, and hope to see you soon.
Take care.
Whitney,
I know you will do well, I have utmost confidence in you.
I am hoping you will have a way to use a computer, have a international phone and will communicate with your family very very often.
And you are so caring you will be a spectacular nurse!
Things are not perfect anywhere but I will worry, just as I did with Reme. Ty's suggestion of journaling is good but I already know that you are fabulous in that department.
I disagree about digital photos, the cameras finally surpassed the film cameras. It'll be easier to send photos via computer.
Good luck on finishing up the year! See you soon my "Classy niece".
Post a Comment