So... today we had a long excursion to: Platform 9-3/4, the British Library, and the British Museum..
..oh..my..god.. I have no clue where to start. Well Platform 9-3/4 we came into Kings Cross and it looks just like how I imagined in the book. (maybe because its a real place) Made of stone and brick and some yummy candy shops too, which is always pleasant. At the Platform it has half of a trolley going into the brick wall and for a minute I pushed on the trolley I half hoped that Hogwarts Express would be waiting on the others side... but sadly no. Anyway, moving on....
Inside the British Library I couldn't even comprehend some of the manuscripts age or their origins. It was simply unbelievable. I saw the original Magna Carta (the written beginning of human rights) The earliest New Testament in the world, letters from Jane Austen to her sister Cassandra and, of course, Shakespeare. Plus many other medieval texts by monks and written wills of very old kings (we're talking great kings of 900AD). Oh and Capt. James Cook's log book/journal. Capt. Cook circumvented the world and first to go across the Arctic Circle.
"In accordance with his instruction he turned and headed towards New Zealand, which had previously been 'discovered' by the Dutchman Abel Tasman. During the rest of the voyage Cook and his crew charted New Zealand, sailed the east coast of Australia and rediscovered the Torres Strait." (http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic_figures/cook_james.shtml)
Next we hit up the British Museum. We only had an hour, so of course not everything was seen.. even if I had four days to devote to that museum I wouldn't be able to see it all. But what I did get to see was the Egyptian galleries and mummy's. Also I went through early Mesopotamia and Ancient Iran galleries, Medieval Britain and the Enlightenment gallery which was Greek sculptures and artifacts. If I thought the age of some artifacts at the Library were astounding I as blown away by the 5,000 year old mummy and many dates that said 3400 BC etc. Good God. The Egyptian exhibit was most interesting and I think when I get home I will read more about that piece of history. Totally unreal.
Tomorrow just Carly and I will be taking the train to Bath to see the Ancient Roman Baths, Jane Austen Center and tour the city I guess. It will be just the two of us because Steph and Emily cannot afford it. Quite understandable actually, its so easy to spend money. Jeez. : )
Thursday, December 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Blog Archive
- Jun (2)
- Feb (6)
- Jan (1)
- Dec (1)
- Nov (20)
- Oct (9)
- Sep (7)
- Aug (8)
- May (7)
- Apr (2)
- Mar (3)
- Feb (2)
- Jan (7)
- Dec (4)
- Nov (5)
- Oct (7)
- Sep (15)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (1)
- Jun (4)
- May (6)
- Apr (12)
- Mar (5)
- Feb (13)
- Jan (2)
- Dec (2)
- Nov (8)
- Oct (12)
- Sep (11)
- Aug (2)
- Jul (6)
- Jun (8)
- May (1)
- Apr (13)
- Mar (15)
- Feb (12)
- Jan (8)
- Dec (18)
- Nov (15)
- Oct (20)
- Sep (14)
- Aug (9)
4 comments:
"Good God" is right. I am so excited that you are doing all this stuff! And jealous. To be honest have been feeling pretty gross. I am sick (cold) and all I do is read! Like you I am fast getting sick of it. I hate how unproductive I feel. You know what? I think I will go on a walk tomorrow, maybe at dawn. I've always wanted to walk at dawn ever since watching Pride and Prejudice. Anyway, love you say hi to Steph for me.
Ok...let me try this again, I wrote a long message and then when I went to publish it said "sever could not be found" and lost the message. Oh well, very cool all the things you are getting to see, love your descriptions, can't wait to see myself someday. The three of us went to dinner at "Salute'" the cute little Italian Restaurant in Old downtown Bellevue. Good food, good company and good conversation. Cute waiter that was checking out your sister, she of course did not get that at all....someday she will though. Your sister misses you and is looking forward to you coming home! We will all get to spend some time together! Did you take a picture of Kings Crossing and Station 9 3/4's? Say hello to Steph and talk to you soon. Love, Mom
Wonderful Whitney..I can't wait until you can share your adventures in person, absolutely appreciate your blog.
It sounds like you are gaining a wonderful history lesson while you are there.
Today is the 28th and it is our 28th wedding anniversary..that will never happen again will it? A bit snow in Whatcom county today, expecting more tomorrow. I'm happy that you can afford to see as much as you can while you are there.
Love you dear girl,
Aunt Dee
Oh and sister Reme, after your refreshing sunrise walk why don't you add to your blog? I hope you visit Bellingham before head back to school. I am bummed that I missed Maddie. Ah well, you young ones are having so much fun. I KNOW you are all so lucky to study and see the world at such a young age.
Love you,
Aunt Dee
Post a Comment