http://www.eatwild.com/index.html
http://www.earthday.net/
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mohandas Ghandi
So I have been doing research since two o' clock on factory farming with a the main emphasis on certified cage free eggs (because I am trying to get my university to completely switch over their production) and I am finding myself more and more disgusted with what goes on in these places and its not because the tortures are different and more heinous than others, but that they are all they same! And they go over looked by all of us!
Many of us see the end product of what factory farming does: we have our lean cuts, chicken breasts, legs, hot dogs, steaks etc. Never do we really see the process. And if we had to do it that way I think none of us would ever eat meat. I'm not saying lets all be veggies because mainly we know meat tastes good. Think of it this way.. would humans taste good too? Its like Eddie says "chicken tastes of baby!" anyway being Hanniable Letcor is not the point either.. so lets look at some facts and options:
- The average American consumes nearly twice his or her weight in meat annually.
- California officials identify agriculture, including cows, as the major source of nitrate pollution in more than 100,000 square miles of polluted groundwater.
- In May 2000, 1,300 cases of gastroenteritis were reported and six people died as the result of E. coli contaminating drinking water in Walkerton, Ontario. Health authorities determined that the most likely source was cattle manure runoff. (DID I GET MINE FROM FACTORY FARMS?)
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, hog, chicken and cattle waste has polluted 35,000 miles of rivers in 22 states and contaminated groundwater in 17 states.
- Estimated inputs to produce a pound of:
- Pork: 6.9 pounds of grain, .44 gallons of gasoline, 430 gallons of water
- Beef: 4.8 pounds of grain, .25 gallons of gasoline, 390 gallons of water
http://www.nrdc.org/water/pollution/ffarms.asp
Promise I didn't pull this out of thin air! And notice I listed how it is effecting you. Your water supply your green earth.. does it seem like it is turning brown? To think if just cut beef from our diet we could:
- increase the amount of grain for human consumption (famine relief)
- save water and energy used to process, ship and feed the animals
- pollution would decrease
It seems to me that there are only two options:
- Go green and buy free range and healthy framing alternatives to factory farming
- Continue on using our world like its indispensable leading to the death of our children's children or much sooner than that.
2 comments:
Yeah I agree, which is why I am working on being veggie.
They also farm fish and it's wiping out the healthy fish in the ocean. Don't buy salmon from Costco!
I tend to agree with you on this subject. I also think if we just take time to appreciate what we eat and respect the creature that gave it's life so that we could eat a burger, pork chop, or chicken. Change is difficult.
Post a Comment