Sunday, September 27, 2009

Wandering...

This is a lovely way to begin a Sunday. My friend Mikaila and I are in an expository writing class and we have explorations that we are supposed to complete each week. This week it was wandering. Just wander, without time, obligation, purpose, whatever just wander. So we did. First, we begun at school and just started walking around Forest Grove.. which when you think about it there is not much to wander through, but we eventually found interesting things. Beginning with an the Oak Grove which is just a basic field behind some adorable houses that are the tall, skinny kind that rub their shoulders together. This field was FULL of cheat grasses and other spiky seedlings. I think I have done my planting for the year. We walked through it and discovered a gargantuan spider. It was magnificent. Probably the largest spider I have ever encountered. She (assuming it was a female since is was around a giant nest) had a long, yet quite round white and orange striped belly, with spindly black and tan striped legs--that were seriously an inch long. Sadly I didn't bring my camera so it only exists on my phone. But it was seriously amazing. We then walked out of the field and discovered a snake basking in a hollow tree. I think I will draw pictures of all of these creatures. Anyway. We then found a house that we would live in, it was beautiful. It looked pretty small but had a gorgeous front with large porch windows and a fireplace. Everything was pretty secluded, its for rent.. and I want to live in it. :) Just so charming.

I still have a pretty serious cold. I am taking care of it. Last night Katherine and I just had a picnic on our floor in our room and we talked of childhood, people now, our families, told stories, told jokes and giggled ourselves silly. One of the best nights I have ever had. I have a lot of love for that kid, she's such a great person.

AND: I have a lot of love for all of you guys too! Miss you most! Go wander

3 comments:

The Best Years said...

Whitney, glad we got the chance to Skype finally, even pixelated you look good :) Sorry you are not feeling well. I love your wandering story...you are getting quite good at describing things. Do drew some pictures...I would love to have one. Yesterday in a way that is what Suzy and I did with the kids, of course it was wandering in the hardware store, but we let the kids set the pace and go where they wanted (for the most part). They find such delight in totally mundane things, they must have opened and closed the display doors a thousand times.
I will let you know when I have the ticket purchased for the Clay Jenkinson show on the 23rd. It will be fun to go together.
Well my love you have a good rest of the afternoon and I will talk to you soon. Love you. Mom

suzy q said...

trading spider tales is always hair raising... love you.

Dee said...

No wonder you had fun as you wandered! I think it is a wonderful way to spend time. Some of my favortie photos have been when I was wandering aimlessly around my yard or on a walk. You are wonderfully talented Whitney. I hope that nasty cold goes away soon. Love you, Aunt Dee

Blog Archive