This might be a common feeling among us "Northerners" ... anyone not born and bred in the South is called a Northerner... provided you're American as well,.. we usually have the feeling that racism is a thing of the past.. Civil Rights Movement happened, there was the 13th, 14th, 15th amendments and the Civil Rights Act, its over.. done. "I am not racist I never had the chance to be.. it isn't part of my history.."
All I have to say is hate like that doesn't just disappear. The discussion we have over the struggle of equality is sugar coated at times. Ok, my great-grandfather wasn't a plantation owner, slave owner.. but we can't forget the horrors of our own history. America is not innocent. I am not innocent, yet I am not guilty.
It doesn't make sense to feel bad or guilty. But what makes sense is to feel something. Triumph, joy, sadness... anything than denying what happened. Acknowledgement is the first step.
And it bothers me that I have friends who would not give history its due attention. I am so angry.
3 comments:
Wit,
Bummer for you, not getting the holiday off. Guess you should have gone to one of those Caucasian-only, neo-conservative prep schools where they only let the Negroes open the doors and park the cars. Bet you wouldn't be singing the Negro National Anthem then.
You mentioned you regretted mentioning anything to your peers. I couldn't tell though if you meant that they made you feel guilty for not wanting to sing the anthem, or if you regretted bringing it up because your peers felt racism wasn't an issue.
You are correct to point out that the issue is long from over. The Civil Rights movement and the reconstruction amendments are milestones closing the gap, but we are still far from finished. And, in fact, I would argue we are at a particularly dangerous place, primarily for one of the reasons you point out.
Today, many, many people believe we have reached racial equality, or that at the very least the disparity is now only a slim one. Assured of our success, many of our liberal, progressive thinkers are resting on their laurels or taking up other issues (such as climate change).
Meanwhile, the backlash against civil rights has continued strong. Affirmative action has been struck down nationwide, and integration programs across the country have been abandoned. Race can no longer be used as a determinant in school selection processes, and racially based quotas are illegal.
White Americans have convinced themselves that all of these measures are positive steps to actual racial equality. Why should my son be treated unequally because he's white, they cry.
But in reality, this is the seductive argument of racial bigotry.
America's schools today are more segregated than they were in the 1960's. Ponder that for a moment, because it's a fact. The majority of racial minorities go to schools only with other racial minorities. Our prison system remains drastically, disproportionally full of young black men. Even now, a black man is more likely to end up in prison than end up in college.
Racism, I'm afraid, is alive and well. And it's poised to get worse as more and more immigrants pour into America. White America is shrinking, and as we do many of us will become more and more openly hostile to the what were once racial minorities.
You are also correct in your assertion that hate does not merely disappear. Hate must be combated wherever it rears its ugly head. But the only way to combat hate is with education, honest debate, and a true understanding of the issues we are facing. Given that our generation is poorly educated, easily manipulated, and lays claim to the dubious title of the most uninformed generation in American history, our battle will be an uphill one.
But I disagree with your comment that you are not innocent and not guilty. Such a statement is not only illogical, but it removes you from any personal responsibility for the future of this nation.
It is most assuredly NOT enough to feel. To claim that I am willing to feel but not to act is a negligent disavowal of my duty as a citizen. Being an adult means taking responsibility, especially when I don't want to, and acting on that responsibility.
Democracy fails when overseen by armchair citizens.
Or, as Jefferson pointed out, "A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves."
So if you really care about this issue, get informed, get involved, and use the power you have as a citizen to make a change. Find out where the battles of hate are happening.
Finally, two books worth reading. Want to know what it really feels like to be black in America? Read James Baldwin's "Notes of a Native Son." It will change you. Trust me.
Want to understand how better to make a change as a citizen? Read "Give Me Liberty" by Naomi Wolf. She paints a bleak picture, but she also gives you the tools for making a real impact as a citizen.
Good luck singing tomorrow.
Whitney, I am sorry your friends were so "thoughtless", sometimes that is a cover for something else, I know you and Doug discussed your concerns at great length and he gave you some good advice as ususal. I just want you to know I love you very much and I am proud of you! Have a good night, Whitney my love. Mom
Ah Whit, sometimes the people we like the most and are the closest to us are just plain "dumb". As you know I had a plain=jane middle of the road public education. I am a "northerner". I knew very little about politics. I married a guy from the midwest at age 19 and went home to meet his family (Detroit). Let me tell you, the first time I went downtown Detroit and walked into a restaraunt with my husband and another two couples and immediately noticed that I was a minority and every set of eyes looking at me were in a black face..suddenly I understood how the other side felt. I wasn't hurt, no one was rude, we ate peacefully. But I felt different. It was a moment of clarity for me. I was in high school when Martin Luther King died. I was so clueless then. He was a brave couragous man and he payed the ultimate price for sharing his beliefs.
I think Ty is right, get out and try to do something to make a change. Raise awareness in your friends. I wouldn't get angry with them I would keep challenging them so they think.
You are a passionate young woman and I believe you have a chance to learn more and do more.
We are not responsible for what generations before us have done, how could we be? We are responsible for what we do ourselves.
I have a new grandchild due in May, that child will be one quarter black. Do I care? No, why should I. I respect Jasmine and will love that little one as much as all the others. As America continues to evolve and blend I would like to think these issues will eventually fade away. As I said I would like to think that. I live my life with respect and give dignitiy to all people that I meet. I notice differences but I don't begrudge them or deny a person for having them. Interesting topic. I think I will try to read the books Ty mentioned. I'll bet your voice was crystal clear today!!
You are so lucky to have Doug to call...I wish I could do that.
Love you dear niece
aunt dee
Post a Comment