Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cinco

There is something about this altitude that makes you need more sleep. I have already had one nap today that lasted 2 hours and its 10 o'clock and I am once again exhausted. Today at orientation our speaker mentioned this... something to do with the lack of oxygen in the air. How funny.

Orientation was today. A bunch of information. I was a bit late, but Maya took me there so I wasn't so worried. Looks like to ride the bus everyday is going to cost me a dollar. Not too bad eh? And not too difficult. And total to Cumbaya is about a half hour.

Anyway orientation. I was about ten minutes late, but I went into the auditorium and quickly sat down. A man in his late thirties was talking about campus involvement and introducing the international services at USFQ. I peered around for Katherine, but I couldn't see her, then by some feminine intuition I leaned back in my chair and there she was down the row behind me, and we both smirked at one another. Thank God she's here. I didn't get to talk to her right away because we had to listen to more introduction stuff, and then there was a tour and we were reunited at a 5 minute mini reception. There were all these other exchange students around talking madly because they probably haven't heard English in a while. I was annoyed .. all I wanted to do was talk with Katherine. We were talking to one another and others were interrupting to introduce themselves... at one moment two Spanish dudes descended on our little group... and lets just say I was very American and asked them why they "swooped in" as it were. There was another lecture after this 5 minutes about safety and all the trouble on can and will get into in Quito if you're not careful. I know all the signs of robbery, bad taxis, and where not to venture.

And Doug I introduced myself to Mike at the US embassy and am registered on their website as well. :)

Tomorrow classes start. I have just one at 2 o'clock it ends at 4. And Katherine will start hers at 4 and en at 6. I'll wait for her so that we can ride the bus together home and hopefully talk more than the 20 minutes we had today.

Tonight around 7 I went to the first birthday of my host niece Sofia. She is adorable and calls me GEEAHHH! apparently that means Whitney in her baby-speak. Its precious and everyone loves it. I think my host family is starting to really enjoy my company. They are all such sweet people. And although they haven't been short changed by exchange students, I feel like they haven't had a great one yet--and I hope its me. So I'll just keep being myself. Seems to be working. My host brother Francisco (who's Tad's age, and I let him know that--it helped that I guessed 38 I am even more liked haha) was teasing me tonight about my name to help his uncle willie (if you can believe that name) he said: "Weet-nee tio como Whitney Houston" I said "Aye mas!" And then told them about the Whitney Houston, Texas bit I used to get in school. they all laughed. :) Francisco says "at least your name isn't Brittany como Brittany Spears"

So thanks Momma, for naming me Whitney. So that my host family will associate me with a crack addict and not a whore. :P

It was a wonderful evening. This family really reminds me of ours, I think that's why its easier to bear being away from you guys. I miss you so much.

My love to all.

3 comments:

Dee said...

OF COURSE they love you and will appreciate your inner beauty and strenghth as they get to know you as well as your outer beauty.
You're funny Whit, you have a lovely name and they will no longer associate it with any other. No doubt you will be the best exchange student ever! Gotta go Miss Elena is calling me..and not so quietly! Love you

suzy q said...

Wow... I so look forward to read your postings!!
What a EXPERIENCE!!
Sounds like life is forming some great stepping stones for you! Those other exchange students will become LIFETIME friends and maybe even open doors to explore new countries!! Meet a cute danish man!!
: )
I am buying Kess a new bike tomorrow!!
So excited to be cycling again1
Bought school supplies on Kessie's list. Not to bad. About 30 dollars.
Kess and Ayze had dentist appointments today, some plaque, but no cavities!!
Picts, ADDRESS PLEASE

SueAnn said...

I finally got to read your blog post. You are a good writer Miss Whit, makes me laugh...except for the part about the crime in Quito! Glad we got to talk via Skype last night, I know it is a fantastic experience for you, just wish it were a bit safer, actually a lot safer. Please be careful, don't get too comfortable, you might not be as vigilant. I want you back, safe and sound, in one piece with great memories. :) Love you pretty girl. Mom

Blog Archive